A clean, well kept food storage area is very important. However cleaning and maintenance of shelving can be a very time consuming process. You need to choose the right shelving for your food storage area so that you can eliminate a lot of headaches and grief. Shelving that can be cleaned easily and quickly will be more than likely done on a much more frequent bases and as a result will not take too much time away from other job responsibilities.
Cleaning Open Wire Shelving
Equipment needed: Brushes, Sponges, Towels. Buckets, Hoses, Mild Detergent
Estimated Time: 30 minutes once a month = 6 hours per year
Labor cost x 6 hours + cleaning cost per year
1. Remove all products.
2. Move shelving unit to outside are or area away from food products. (Note: do not contaminate food product with cleaning chemicals).
3. Hose shelving unit to loosen grease and dirt.
4. Use water, mold detergent and sponges to clean shelves.
5. Use brushes to clean between wires and remove stubborn residue.
6. Hose off unit again to remove cleaning chemicals and lose dirt.
7. Towel dry unit and move back.
8. Place product back on shelf.
Cleaning Removable Polymer Shelving
Equipment needed: Dishmachine or pot sink
Estimated Time: 10 minutes once a month = 2 hours per year
Labor cost x 2 hours = cleaning cost per year
1. Shift products on one end of shelf.
2. Remove polymer mats.
3. Place in dishmachine or sink to clean.
4. Replace mats and repeat for other side of unit.